MIST is made up of individual and team competitions. Points scored in individual competitions are added to both the competitor’s individual score as well as the Overall Team score. Some examples of individual competitions are: 2D Art 3D Art, Photography, all “Knowledge & Quran” competitions, Debate, etc.
Team competitions are those in which more than one competitor may collaborate on a single entry as part of a Competition Team. In these competitions, all of the individuals competing in the Competition Team will have their Competition Team’s score added to their individual score. However, what is added to the Overall Team score is the points associated with the Competition Team’s place. For example, a team fields 6 competitors for their Islamic Scholastic Bowl Competition Team and places 1st. Each of the members of that Competition Team will have 10 points added to their individual score, however, only 10 points are awarded to the Overall Team score. Some examples of team competitions include: Islamic Website Design, Islamic Scholastic Bowl, all “Group Projects” competitions, etc.
INSIDERS EDGE - MAKING THE MOST OF MIST
- Show up to each of your competitions! You will lose 100% of the competitions that you don’t show up for.
- The margin of victory between 2nd and 3rd place in 2010 was 6 points and between 4th and 5th was 7 points. 5 points are deducted from the team score for every missed competition.
- Enter the members of your team in as many competitions as possible. The maximum that any one competitor can enter in is 6 (one per category + Basketball).
- The teams that placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd entered their members into 100%, 80%, and 97% of the competitions.
- Create, Critique, Correct
- Don’t simply create your submissions and bring them to MIST. Have them critiqued by your coach, teammates, parents, teachers, etc. Listen to their criticism and head back to the drawing board to make improvements. Each time you do this your submission will get better, insha’Allah!